Peanut Butter Safety

While occasionally giving your dog peanut butter is harmless, some common additives can lead to serious health complications. Xylitol, a common additive used to sweeten food in place of sugar, is extremely toxic to dogs. Mild ingestion can cause hypoglycemia, or a rapid drop in your pet’s blood sugar levels. Symptoms include staggering, disorientation, collapse, weakness and seizures. Ingesting large quantities commonly leads to liver failure and death.

When purchasing peanut butter that may be consumed by your dog, search the list of ingredients on the packaging for xylitol-free varieties. If you suspect that your pet may have consumed xylitol, please contact your Northwest Neighborhood veterinarian. Immediate medical attention is needed to minimize harm.